Thursday 3 March 2011

1B: Professional Communication Technology Reader: first thoughts...

Technology and Web 2.0 tools a positive things for everyone? Pros and Cons

I have to admit that after reading the Professional Practice Course Reader, Professional Communication Technology, few things came up to my mind, and they weren't exactly all positive thoughts.
As an addicted internet and technology user, I definitely see the Web 2.0 tools as pro thing...While I was reading started thinking of how important web communication, social networking and media tools are consistent and very important in my everyday life:
I log onto Facebook regularly, I check my email several times a day, I send cv for castings, I keep in touch with my far away friends via Gchat, Facebook and/or email, I'm always online on Skype and I'm constantly checking my favorite websites, such as Youtube and Google to always be updated with what is happening nowadays and to research for new music on Sheetzbox for my auditions ( an absolutely amazing website for finding sheet music, I hardly recommend it)....

But for a second I decided to read the document from a NON-technologic/web user's point of view and see how what I was reading affected me. 
I found myself feeling a bit lost, because if I wouldn't know about Facebook and other social networking, or Skype or Internet in general and how to navigate it, I would feel a bit overwhelmed and confused after reading, for instance, Gruber's feel about it.
The way internet and its contents are constantly moving faster than the reader, and the fact that it's hard to keep up with technology if you are not an everyday user but only a person that uses the Internet very little, I think it is a tool that can become hard to understand and therefore it becomes hard to see its benefits.
This has to do with the fact that even us, as young generation, weren't born with the invention of Internet but we definitely grew up in it...but let's think of the previous generation (our parents) that didn't grow up with computers and Internet and that suddenly they find themselves to live in a world of technology communication and that have to keep up with it.  Of course there are exceptions, I could quote my mum, she is an Internet user and a very technologic person ( she actually taught me a lot about it ) but in general, if not for work or studies, this generation have a way more difficult time to learn as fast as our generation does and probably don't have the time and don't feel the need to do so for their everyday life.


So my question is: 

Is the Internet a too complicated tool for previous generations and should become easier to navigate, or is it just something that isn't fully integrated with all ages and social classes in our society? Where can we find the middle point where everybody can benefit of Web 2.0 pretty much at the same level? 

To answer this question I've started a survey within my friends and family of different ages, works and social backgrounds. 
I will soon post the results and what I learnt from it... until now I would love to know if someone shares or objects with my latest thoughts.
:)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, nice to meet you! Great post, really interesting! love the use of the diagrams too, some posts can look a bit daunting when they are just lots and lots of texts! You have introduced me to some interesting sights, the one for getting the sheet music for example, I had never heard of it before you mentioned it! Thankyou so much! I am a regular facebook user too, I shall add you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding me on facebook, now we could exchange thoughts more often...hope to have a chat with you soon and getting to know you more. :)

    ReplyDelete