Saturday 5 March 2011

Foreigner in my own country?

Ok! So now, while I wait for all my friends and family to give me their opinion about my last post, I can share with you some of my latest worries and feelings...thank you also to Paula that suggested me to do so.

As you may know I'm Italian and I've recently come back home after living almost 4 years in London and 10 months on a cruise ship after that.
So I suddenly found myself in a totally different situation working ways, something I wasn't used to. I'd gotten very into the everyday life in London and I knew how to find auditions, jobs in general, dance classes, shows...I was constantly moving for my career and it was natural.
But here the situation is slightly different...I've straight away started to audition for Italian Musicals, which is something that isn't in our culture so very new and therefore it's hard to get a job...not that it was easier in London, but there were more opportunities and the quality and organizations of things was way higher.

I was surprised on how meritocracy is something that isn't that important, anybody could walk into the audition and try, even without having any type of training.This really upsets me as I was competing with people not even knowing who Sondheim is and how to warm up their voices...of course in the end who had talent would get the job but being the MUSICAL THETRE scene such a small world still, you can see that the same people that had already been working with the companies, would in the end get the jobs. I'm sure they deserve it, but very often I felt a strange feeling of injustice that was different from the time I would feel sad after not succeeding at an audition in London purely because I wasn't good enough for what I was auditioning for or I wasn't the right person they were looking for.

So I've started feeling in the wrong place and wondering wether I should go back to England or not...but is it possible that I need to flee to another country in order to get a job? Shouldn't it be easier here in my own country and speaking my own language rather than being considered more abroad where it's harder for me as a second language speaker? The language will always affect my auditions competing against British performers, especially where singing and acting are involved BUT did get jobs before...

These are some of my thoughts lately...it's also very hard to understand if this course will help me for my future life here, but I know it would definitely help me for my career in the U.K.
Is any of you in my same or similar situation? I would love to share your thoughts and feelings, maybe knowing other people's choices will help me finding mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment