Sunday 1 May 2011

3c: 'Sources of Information'

My 5 Most Important Sources of Information


Web:
For sure I can firstly think of the internet, I cannot think of my professional networks without thinking INTERNET. It has become the most important and reliable source of information for what it's happening in the world, for castings information and to keep evolving my knowledge in this fast changing era. I constantly use Google for any research I do, now many Italian casting websites, when in London I use to daily visit websites such as The Stage, Spotlight and Equity.
I now wake up and my computer is already on and my Google mail page has already opened. I almost automatically open my Facebook page and Skype. I'm extremely relaying on this sources and sometimes it's almost scary how much the internet is part of my everyday life; without it, what did my previous colleagues do? How could they keep in touch so constantly with their net of friends and work related people and with what was happening around them? I consider myself very lucky to be a professional in this technologic era, the only down side I can think of is the sometimes 'to easy way' we have to keep in shape in this profession. The risk could be to get too sluggard and loose drive to be active. 

Word of Mouth:
Surely the more antique but still effective way to receive information. Although, returning on how important is the internet for my networking, I get most of my 'word of mouth' information through the web being far away from my school mates and friends in the performing field.. I keep in touch with my colleagues around the world through Facebook and Skype, that update me with what they are doing and with new auditions/show they know about. We help each other out since we still are in the same hard situations of finding jobs....I can already tell that who is already well established in the business tend to not keep in touch as much, I believe it's something that happens automatically when busy working but reconnecting to what I said in my previous blog entitled Cooperation about acting the same as a professional and as a person, I still hope I will try to give information to friends that may need it regarding jobs and castings I might know about.

Television:
Especially since I left London I tend to watch Television as a good source of information to especially enrich my acting skills. I don't focus on Italian TV but actually I keep connected with Americans and British TV series and programs. I struggled to watch a movie doubted in Italian from English, it's very hard for me and watching news and TV series in their original language keep me fresh on the language that I so hardly learnt. 
I like to see the differences between Americans, Italians and British actors and singers and I use this source to learn as much as possible the good and bad of their artistic differences. I love the American's voices and exuberance in performing, but I still often prefer the acting skills of the British. I,unfortunately, have to say that Italians are generally not the best on these skills, especially for new and young TV series's actors. But I can always look at the 'bigs' we had in our acting history, famous actors like Marcello Mastroianni, Vittorio Gasmas, Sofia Loren, Roberto Benigni among others.

Magazine/News Paper:
I like to read and I like to read show's reviews and about new movies, books, plays, shows out there.
I also found different auditions and courses informations I was interested in. Again in London I was subscribed to the News paper The Stage for a time period of a year straight out of college. It was full of informations on castings and on 'who was doing what' professionally. It has been extremely important for the first months out of college. I actually believe it's on this paper that I found out about the cruise ship audition I got a job from. So big thank to that!

People I've worked with:
It's a bit like the 'word of mouth' source but with the difference that in this case I gain informations from people I've worked with and that I may not have a close relationship with, like casting directors, a costume designer, a photographer, a previous Employer so not only regarding my performing net but also for normal jobs, an agency I've worked for...I recently got given a job after having worked for only 1 day with an event agency, and another job for a TV commercial from passing informations from one agency to another...so here again work ethics come in, a good 'performance' with a job may always link you to something else that receives good references from a previous job. Never end up in bad relationship even if the job hasn't succeeded your expectations.

I was happy to read that also Stephanie isn't an iPhone user yet, although we can definitely see its benefits through iPhone applications. I don't have internet on my phone so I can't be connected at anytime which is a down side of this very technologic world. I should get on it so that I can always read my emails and, for example, in an audition situation, have the venues addresses and pone numbers easily at my hand...instead of having it to writing them down on a small piece of paper that very often GET LOST!!! I speak for experience...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I was just wondering what you feel benefits you more whilst networking, Word of mouth or The Stage Newspaper? Do you agree that The stage is a more reliable source of information as it is written in black and white ( no one can fool you with small changes of details) or do you have complete trust in affiliates providing you with information? This is a tricky question for me, I feel like I can trust 'word of mouth' information but The Stage has been around for so many years providing an informative and beneficial service to performers. Would love to know what your thoughts on this are.
    Thanks
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ami!
    I think I used to completely trust a source of information like The Stage. It's a well established news paper and I've never had problems after reading information of castings on it. Although I have to say I've always trusted almost at the same level the word of mouth source, this has to do with WHO is giving you the info. They were always people I would trust and if not I would double check with people in my networks that may now something about it...So I believe word of mouth is as reliable as a newspaper when the people giving you the information are well established practitioners in the business and you know they wouldn't fool you around (i.e. I would double check after receiving info by an apparently "nice girl" that gives me info at an audition ... at the end of the day we still are competing against each other and I don't know her!)
    Any other thoughts?
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it completely depends on who is sharing the information with you, if they are well established i would trust their word much more than, for example, a friend of a friend.
    I think the level of competitiveness amongst dancers should never be underestimated. Even if I receive information regarding auditions via the internet i know that i will usually double check with a close workmate if they have heard of the company and inquire about what there opinions are.
    Common sense seems to be key for both networking and obtaining a successful career.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also true that sometimes we have to risk in this business, I did a cruise ship audition once not even knowing the company name, none of my friends did, I did it anyway and got the job in the end. It turned out to be a very reliable company and I had an amazing contract. Considering also the fact that I didn't wanna do ships...I took it as a free class...an experience to access new learning (reflecting on it). I just followed my instinct from what I'd felt at the audition and went for it....so I would add Gut instinct to Common sense on trusting our sources.

    ReplyDelete