Sunday 1 May 2011

3a: Current Networks

 

Current ways I use the most to network are through:
  • Web
  • Emails
  • Phone
  • Facebook
  • Friends
  • Word of mouth
I can definitely think of a way that a practitioner more experienced could have using their networks, which is the connections you create and nurse throughout your career with the people you get in touch with. 
I can think of when I was in college and the same Musical Director would get asked to direct our shows all the time, as he would always succeed the expectations of my school Principal. Or when I worked on ships for the first time and then after that how I struggled to get given another contract again, as there were so many 'veterans' that had worked with the company before and that would get the job first only because already well established and known by the casting directors and the creative team.
Or having an agent. When you are an established working performer, is more likely that you have an agent by now that connects you with jobs and raise your opportunities of work.

I believe I tend to use, within my social networks, a good verbal contact to expand my social net. I would probably benefit from it using the same approach within my professional networks. I think I have a good quality of being extrovert and positive towards meeting new people. Of course when underneath there's no real reason to 'force' myself to be liked by someone that could be a potential good link to my professional network, it's way easier to do. It could be for me a challenge to try to relate to a professional contact, the same way I act in a social situations. I think I could benefit from this.

An ideal network would look to me like a place where we can go and simply relate and share informations to each other. Something as serious as a place of work but instead of doing something for a job we already have, socialize and make connections in a place where everyone is there for the same reason, to expand their networks raising the opportunities for future jobs.
In order to do this ( which I know it's a bit unrealistic) I  would arrange similar situations where people from the same field of work can share ideas. I could think of organizing parties, social situations with a topic of interest, like the launch of a new show, a charity run o music gig...I'd always liked to be the one organizing for others...maybe it could also be a second career path I could keep in mind that can always be related to my actual professional practice. ( just a thought! )

I think I need to use more social networks like Linkedin to expand my current networks. I've just started to use it and I could notice there were many professional friends that are already in it and that are benefitting from it. I tend to start something and then not really get deep down into its meaning like this social network site that I still only use very little. Also I don't really know how to get in touch with others in the net and how I can get them to see me more easily. This is something I need to work on and explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment