Tuesday 26 April 2011

Cooperation

~ Cooperation is the process of working or acting together which can be accomplished  by both intentional and non-intentional agents... in its simplest form working with harmony, side by side, in more complicated forms it can involve something as complex as the inner workings of human being. Alternative to working separately in competition. ~


I found this wikipedia explanation of Cooperation very clear and simple to understand. Also what follows the explanation of the word itself really helps the reasons why a person DO cooperate:


~ There are four main conditions that tend to be necessary for cooperative behaviour to develop between two individuals:
  • An overlap in desires
  • A chance of future encounters with the same individual
  • Memory of past encounters with that individual
  • A value associated with future outcomes ~


As the reader suggests I had a go with Axerold's theory of the Prisoner's Dilemma  and found that the TIT FOR TAT tactic was working. Although I then tried to apply the game within my profession not gaining the same results. Likewise Joanna thinks,I find that in the professional network not always 'mirroring' the person I cooperate with can give me good results in return... i.e. If I don't give back some sort of help after I got told of an audition by someone, the next time there will be one, that person wold be more likely not to help me again therefore I would not be gaining cooperation anymore from that person. This brings me back to the questions raised by Axerold in the reader: 

When should a person cooperate and when should a person be selfish?
( Axerold, R 1984, pp 11 - 14 )


I was trying to think if in my profession I had an example of a cooperation/non-cooperation situation and I think I found a good one:
Back in 2005 I was taking an MT summer course at the Urdang Academy, what then became my training school after that.
I was completely unaware of the fact that auditions where held at the same time to take part of the 3 years course. I didn't speak English and I couldn't even imagine myself actually training there. Within this week some cooperation and affiliation happened. I straight away got really close with another student that was taking part in the course and that also was auditioning for the school.
Because I was giving him help through the routines and songs, this guy nicely felt the need to give me something back ( he told me this later on ) so he personally asked the school director to consider myself for an audition, they listened to him largely praising my good qualities and in the end he got approved even though the auditions where already taking places and I was late with the process. So they gave me a "special treatment" giving me chances to audition on my own (very intimidating). With my astonishment and not really believing in succeeding, I took advantage of this cooperation and got through the audition getting a place offered into the school.
I can firmly say that simply because of my honest and innocent will to help someone else not necessarily getting something in return, I 'won the Prisoner's Dilemma match' obtaining something from this other person that ended up with nothing for himself (if not a great friendship that started from that moment on).


So is it really a matter of ALWAYS giving to receive, or we can be moved by simply giving HOPING to receive back in the future or/and to establish a good and healthy relationship with a work fellow? 
Of course this is a very generic matter, but a little bit like what Stephanie said in her blog of believing herself the same persona in life and work, that's probably how I see it as well and how I behave in life, I want to try to get across in my profession. 


As usual I like to include some images that visually help my concepts... I found these ones extremely good to sum up what I discovered ...what do you think?





References:
Wikipedia,  The free encyclopedia,  2011, Cooperation [online]. 
Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperation [accessed 26 April 2011]


Serendip, 2010, Prisoner's Dilemma [online].
Pennsylvania: Bryn Mawr College
Available from: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/playground/pd.html [accessed 25 April 2011]


Axelrod, R. (1984) The evolution of cooperation. London: Penguin


Adeyinka, J. (2010) http://joanna-adeyinka.blogspot.com/2010/11/critical-reflection-on-professional.html (accessed 04 April 2011)


Thomas, S. (2011) http://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.com/2011/04/cooperation-affiliation-social.html (accessed 26 April 2011)

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you have a really positive story about how somebody helped you out in your professional progression by helping you to get into the school you wanted. I think in the performance industry, one could easily become cynical about whether or not people are genuine or whether they are just out for themselves. It's nice to hear about cooperation occurring and people demonstrating generosity in their professional life...regardless of the professional outcomes, I take this as an example of the way I would like to behave, simply because it makes the world a nicer place!

    The director I am currently working with is one of the most generous spirited and kind people I have ever come across in the industry, and it makes such a massive difference to our working environment. Everyone feels happy, relaxed and un-afraid to make mistakes, which is creatively freeing. So I believe his positivity, generosity and cooperation will actually result in better work, a better finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in what you said: "...simply because it makes the world a better place"...why would we do this profession otherwise? Isn't our "aim" to get to people with a form of art like acting or dancing and singing to make them feel good?isn't that our reward for what we enjoying doing so much?? if everybody would understand that rather than always competing with each other to get jobs and get paid, if everybody would do it because it's like a vocation rather than a ONLY profit-making this business would be much more healthier and there would be more people enjoying a play or show....at least i believe that! If you have a peaceful place of work and environment it would get to the audience and they would appreciate and participate more....what do you think?

    ReplyDelete