Tuesday 18 October 2011

Campus Session...


Back on...:)

Today I finally made it to the second campus session for this module so I got the chance to meet Adesola, Rosemary and few of my course fellow :)
It has definitely been an intense day in terms of receiving information and brainstorming ideas. As I explained to the others today few life changes happening at the moment set me a little behind schedule but nonetheless I intend to get on the course now as much as I can.

What we discussed was mainly regarding part 2 of this module, Professional Ethics, and we start discussing ethics applied on a professional level.

Ethics = a right way of Behavior, in this case professionally.

What Rosemary pointed out was that ethics can be different for each different profession and it may also differ from our own personal ethic, so how can that affect our work?
We can behave in a good or bad way, in our profession we need find how to behave in a “good” way in order to follow our organization ethical codes.
She then she asked us to try to find our own ethical code within our profession and toward the topic of enquiry we had chosen, and that's when I had to drop out...Like I said I was a bit behind compared to the others and not having found an enquiry for my research yet, this task was a bit pointless, so then with the helpful advice of Adesola I manage to work a little bit on my plan for inquiry.
These are the VERY BROAD questions I came up with and I would be grateful to receive any type of criticism or advice...

  1. Is it trues that training in a particular culture can be culturally biased?
    This came up while talking about me leaving Italy and deciding to move back to work in England. Seems to be very different the way Musical Theatre is viewed and thought so then I wondered whether it was restrictive for me to train in a different country and than trying to work back home...or is it because of the small community and knowledge of Musical Theatre that Italy has and that wants to advantage its own peers?

  2. Is there a particular way, for a performer, to adapt when working abroad?
    My interest for training and working within different cultures was still going on in my mind so then I came up with this question, although realizing it may be too generic and without a real body of interest. Maybe I should work this differently...

  3. Can a performer be influenced by the training that has been given at the point where becomes suspicious of other training systems? And can that affect the way we work with other people that come from different backgrounds?
    I think this would definitely need to be narrowed down more, as the question could have been gone further...can that affect the way the others work with us, becoming maybe too judgmental towards diversity? I very welcome opinions on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura - great to read your post here as I unfortunately couldn't make the session. I would say don't worry about the fact that you feel a bit behind in developing your questions - it might be that you have to focus more during the coming weeks but it's definitely achievable to catch up! I was particularly interested by your 3rd question - to be honest I found the phrasing of it a little difficult but you can always refine that with the help of the academic advisors. The essence of what you want to discover is very interesting - I believe that as performers we need to be open to change our way of working and that adaptability is very important. If we get too stuck into one method that we have learnt during training how can we expect to work successfully with a wide range of people who may have different ideas? I am sure there are many that would disagree, but I find keeping an open mind the best way to be. I am lucky that my training was very free and not based solely on one 'method'...but there are many schools that do, and I wonder - Are they equipping their students with the range of skills necessary to function effectively in a notoriously competitive industry?

    I am writing this in a bit of a rush so I hope it makes sense! If it doesn't please let me know...look forward to chatting more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie for your comment...it's nice to hear back from you after 3 long months! I do agree with you that my 3rd question is very complex and not formulated properly, it also has to do with the fact that I'm not sure yet what I want to question; is it the part where I want to judge the severity that training may have sometimes or the fact that WE as individuals get "sucked" in the way we get trained without letting our minds to be open to experimenting different things? is it our fault or "their" fault?

    ReplyDelete